[meteorite-list] Meteor Crater Impactor?

From: Yinan Wang <veomega_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 12:39:16 -0500

According to measurements using the measuring tool on google earth.

>From crater rim to crater rim:
NW rim to SE rim: 3,880 - 3,930 ft.
NE rim to SW rim: 3,860 - 3,910 ft.

I'd call that round, falling within margins of error, but I'm not
gonna argue impact angles, just going to reference below:

"One objection to the idea of an impact origin for the lunar craters
was the fact that all lunar craters are round. Astronomers assumed
that most meteorites would have struck the moon at oblique angles,
producing elongated craters. Barringer, however, had experimented by
firing rifle bullets into rocks and mud, and had discovered that a
projectile arriving at an oblique angle would nevertheless make a
round hole. In 1923, Barringer's 12-year-old son Richard published an
article in Popular Astronomy, using his father's rifle experiments to
argue for the impact origin of the lunar craters; Barringer himself
repeated the arguments a short time later in the Scientific American.

Ultimately, astronomers such as A.C. Gifford were able to demonstrate
that the force of an impact at astronomical speeds would result in the
explosion of the meteorite. Whatever the original angle of impact, the
result would be a circular crater. "

-Yinan