[meteorite-list] Meteor Crater Shape and Entry Angle

From: GeoZay at aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:40:31 EDT

>>What can probably be agreed is that an impactor with an
entry angle of 45* degrees could produce a round crater. Meaning of
course that Meteor Crater, since it's not perfectly round as evidenced
by the "bulges" in the NW and SE corners, must have been produced by an
impactor with a trajectory much shallower than 45 degrees. Logically.<<

I don't know, but I wonder if the shape of the terrain upon
impact(hills/gulleys etc) or perhaps a varied pattern of rock strength underground could
have had some influence to the craters shape?
GeoZay