[meteorite-list] Meteor Crater Shape and Entry Angle

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 10:37:44 -0700

Hi John, Thanks for the details. It's interesting to note that the angle
of descent is not known, though there are educated guesses or
calculations. What can probably be agreed is that an impactor with an
entry angle of 45* degrees could produce a round crater. Meaning of
course that Meteor Crater, since it's not perfectly round as evidenced
by the "bulges" in the NW and SE corners, must have been produced by an
impactor with a trajectory much shallower than 45 degrees. Logically.

Here's another question. Which direction was it traveling SE to NW or NW
to SE?

According to the Shoemaker paper here:
http://arrowsmith410-598.asu.edu/Lectures/Lecture16/i0-8137-5402-X-2-0-399Shoemaker.pdf

"...Somewhat greater energy was
required if the projectile struck at an oblique angle, as suggested
by the presence of faults with underthrust displacement on the
north and west walls of Meteor Crater...."

It suggests a NW direction of travel... is this correct? And how do we know?

Does the "underthrust displacement" imply that the impactor was
traveling from the SE toward the NW?

Eric