[meteorite-list] Origin of Tektites

From: almitt2 at localnet.com <almitt2_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 04:47:17 -0400

Hi Ed,

Not an expert by any means on tektites but the subject has been
discussed here quite a bit in the past. You can go to the meteorite
central site and conduct a search on what has been said or google a
search on tektites. We do have very knowledgeable people on here that
can offer information.

With that said, volcanic origin (on Earth) can be ruled out because
tektites are way too dry to be a by product of terrestrial volcanos.
Lunar ejecta is unlikely due to the isolated spots tektites are found.
Lunar origin is an old theory that has (for the most part) gone by the
way side. Meteorite impacts are the most widely accepted theory of
formation but not without its problems. Tektites are glassy specimens
that were highly heated and so their pasts have been altered.
This makes trying to find their parent source very difficult. Their
have been air bubbles that have been studied in them that gives
indication of Earth origin due to the gases trapped inside them.

Beyond that you will have to do research to find a more detailed
explanation as to their compositions and origins. Best!

--AL Mitterling
Mitterling Meteorites
www.mitterling.com