[meteorite-list] Origin of Tektites

From: Mark Ford <mark.ford_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 09:37:41 +0100

Hi Ed.

At the risk of starting up the 'great Tektite wars' again, (second only
to the God Thread) I think it's now been very well established that they
are of Earth impact origin (i.e terrestrial). The lunar origin, is still
propagated by a small minority of people. The evidence for a lunar
origin just doesn't entirely stack up. Granted there are things we still
don't understand, but plenty of elemental studies have indicated they
have trace chemical signatures which match known Earth bedrock
formations. (hey, I've even seen a partially melted tektite with melted
sedimentary rock poking out of it?!)

I recommend Aubrey's excellent site for a start
http://www.tektites.co.uk

There is a good set of references to papers etc at
http://www.tektites.co.uk/bibliography.html

Mark