[meteorite-list] Meteor Crater Impactor?

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 02:59:53 -0700

Hi Sterling, Thanks for the answer, and links.

Still have a question though. I'm more curious about the angle of
descent. The paper mentions an angle of 45 degrees.

This seems like a very "safe" guess. Are there any data, or information
on the angle of descent other than in the paper you provided a link to.

See this crater photo from Google Earth:
http://www.mhcmagazine.com/images/crater.jpg

The crater is not perfectly round as would be expected from an impactor
coming in at a sharper angle.In fact the crater is more elliptical in
shape. It appears as if the impactor hit at an angle quite a bit
shallower than 45 degrees.

Is it possible the impactor came in at a shallower angle?

Regards,
Eric