[meteorite-list] ASU suspends public meteorite identification program

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 14:47:39 -0700 (PDT)

OK Eric,

I'll grant you your $25 fee to give a meteorite a cursory glance to give an opinion.

We all know both dealers, hunters and professional researchers who have had people insist that their stones are rare meteorites and we also all have heard stories of these same kinds people accuse these dealers, hunters and professional researchers that they switched their rare and valuable specimen with a common earth rock from their yard. That's just one of many issues I can think of.

I suspect that if such a low end service could be profitable, worth the time and effort, and be accepted on a wide scale, it already would exist.

However, there always has to be the first in anything, so maybe someone should start one.

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography