[meteorite-list] I have a problem with some rusting meteorites

From: Mark Ford <mark.ford_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 13:32:46 +0100

The mistake many people make is they concentrate only on moisture
control (which is still very important), but we should also worry about
oxygen. The use of Oxygen scavengers has been standard in most museums
for years now - I recommend them , they are little sachets that contain
oxygen absorbing chemical, they need to be replaced periodically, and
cannot be recharged like dessicant. Many food manufacturers use them by
the bucket load. This stops the other main ingredient of rust!

If someone can find out what chemical they use, you could probably buy
the chemical powder and make your own, for not much money.

Also a sacrificial piece of metal (magnesium or similar) would also eat
up free oxygen, which might be a cheap alternative.

There are also 'VCI sprays' and VCI foam pads which emit a thin film of
molecular oil which helps prevent air getting to the surface of the
iron, though these do work they are not all that effective. I did some
trials with them and didn't actually notice much of an effect long term
over no use.

As always dessicant is only effective if you change it regularly ,
remember that once it is saturated with moisture it is like having a
puddle of water in your cabinet when the humidity goes down a bit, the
water will re evaporate into the air again - so change it every few
weeks!

Mark

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us. Email info at ssl.gb.com. You should not copy or use this email or attachment(s) for any purpose nor disclose their contents to any other person.

GENERAL STATEMENT:

Southern Scientific Ltd's computer systems may be monitored and communications carried on them recorded, to secure the effective operation of the system and for other lawful purposes.

Registered address Rectory Farm Rd, Sompting, Lancing, W Sussex BN15 0DP. Company No 1800317