[meteorite-list] I have a problem with some rusting meteorites

From: al mitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 09:13:32 -0400

Hi Jessica,

Muonionalusta tends to rust around the natural outside edges where it was
exposed to the weather before it was sliced. In my experience it won't rust
in the interior of the slice even if you don't treat the outside edges. If
you do treat the outside edges where it rusts, you need to keep it very dry
and with desiccant. Be sure your desiccant isn't part of the problem as it
will absorb moisture and then contaminate the specimen when it is saturated.
Also avoid touching specimens to blue colored desiccant that change when
spent.

One thing that I have not seen mentioned here, keep meteorites at a uniform
temperature. Variations in the room or sunlight hitting specimens or cases
will cause a minor amount of condensation and ultimately rust.

--AL Mitterling
Mitterling Meteorites and Lab