[meteorite-list] Attention Steve Arnold: Divining Iron Meteorites

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 15:19:31 -0600

Rather than just repeat what can be found elsewhere, I'd suggest you start
with the Wikipedia entry on dowsing, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowsing ,
which has some excellent references to negative evidence, as well as some
references explaining Betz's poor technique.

A PhD does not automatically make somebody a good scientist (just look at
the huge number of pseudoscientists that Russia has produced), and the
absence of a PhD does not make somebody a poor scientist. All the evidence
suggests that Randi is a much better scientist than Betz. Randi designs his
experiments with proper attention to double blind methodology and controls,
and his results are reproducible. This is quite different from Betz.

People can be blinded by culture, too. I've spent a lot of time in Germany,
and an amazing number of people believe in dowsing (along with the idea that
underground "streams" near houses cause health problems), and an amazing
number of people believe in homeopathy. FWIW, both dowsing and homeopathy
appear to have originated in Germany.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory