[meteorite-list] OT: Dowsing is real, but exoplanets are dubious?!

From: Rob Matson <mojave_meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 14:18:14 -0700

Hi Phil,

> Your last statement is not true. It's very hard to find scientific
> studies involving anything even remotely connected to the "paranormal"
> (gasp!). Look into the German studies cited here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3ADowsing

I read that abstract earlier in the week. If there were even a half-
dozen such pier-reviewed papers, I would still consider it rather weak
evidence given the magnitude of the importance of such a discovery if
it were true. A sixth sense is an extraordinary claim -- where is the
extraordinary evidence?

What I wonder is why you don't have the same level of skepticism
toward dowsing that you do toward black holes and exoplanets (which
have ABUNDANT evidence in favor of their existence). Particularly in
the case of exoplanets, the only legitimate reason for your skepticism
would be personal unfamiliarity with the rather bullet-proof science.
Exoplanets are just as real as planets in our own solar system.

--Rob