[meteorite-list] Passing of Bob Walker

From: Michael Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2010 14:40:12 -0700

Count, Karmaka and all,

        I was grateful Count posted to the list. I received my letter
Yesterday and was profoundly grief stricken. I was dreading braking
The news to list members. Bob and I have been exchanging emails
daily to several times a day for the last few years. He went from
customer to friend to dear friend, being the only other collector I
know who seemed to match my passion for hammers.

       In over 20 years in meteorites I have had no closer friend and none
With whom I communicated daily as with Bob.

        I broke down altogether yesterday when I heard from his partner.
        I am certainly most grateful she wrote me, as I hadn't heard from
Bob in over a week (because he was gone) and wrote every day and
Never got an email bounced back - but was dreading the worst under
The circumstances.

        Odd, in his last email to me he responded to my concern he had
Been in the hospital for over 2 weeks and they were supposedly just
Trying to work out a way of lowering his pain (of which he never
complained). In any event, he started out his last email to me, "Don't
Worry, I'm not going to clark it yet." (I assume "clark it" is Ausie for
"bite the dust" sort of slang).

        When Bob left, he had 10 of my finest Thin Sections - Lunar and
Martian and I believe in past posts I have saved, there is the contact
Info for the institutional fellow collaborating with him on this project.
If those of you who loaned him thin sections will contact me off list, I
Will request your TSs be returned with mine and send them off to
Those involved in assisting Bob on this last project provided I can reach
This fellow.

        Anyway, the meteorite community has lost a great friend.
        My condolences to all of you who had the privilege of developing a
personal relationship with Bob. I wish I could afford to go to Australia for
Whatever memorial service they may have for him, but if I could afford
That I would most definitely have gone many months ago to share time
With dear Bob. We also shared a strong interest in several varieties of
Plants ( particular varieties of Orchids, Hoyas etc.). Damn, I am going
To miss him terribly.

         I will be creating a memorial page for Bob and will let you all
know when it is up.

        Life is "too short" for those we love, eh?

        Peace be with Bob and with you all, Michael

On 10/9/10 1:29 PM, "karmaka" <karmaka at email.de> wrote:

> ?A farewell is necessary before we can meet again, and meeting again,
after
> moments or a lifetime is certain for those who are friends.?

Rest in peace,

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----