[meteorite-list] Professionals No Longer Sought

From: e-mail ensoramanda <ensoramanda_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 18:13:57 +0100

Hi Dave,

I am not really sure what you are getting at when talking of
check-lists of attributes defining professionals and scientists having
to address questions by the general public/collector? I cannot see how
the first would help anyone or how the second could ever be practical.

What it comes down to is having confidence in who you buy from or deal
with and trying to learn as much about the samples you wish to
collect.

There are very few options for the collector. In an ideal world it
would be great to have your own equipment to verify what you get or
have your own science contacts that could do that but that just isn't
going to happen. There is not enough time and very little point in
retesting small samples for individuals...it's just a waste of
resources and not productive.

Science benefits from new material being submitted by dealers and
dealers then benefit from material being verified and classified.
After that point you just have to choose dealers who have a good
reputation that are selling that classified material with provenance.
Otherwise there is no real substitute for having years of experience
studying, looking at hundreds of samples of all types in collections,
at shows, in books, online etc etc when it comes to choosing your
purchases.

It also depends on what your focus is when collecting meteorites..and
there are many different collectors....some concentrate on micros,
others planetary, types, aesthetic qualities etc etc. Science is
important in some more than others. I, for instance, like nothing
better than searching through a box of UNWA material at a show looking
for something aesthetically pleasing, showing flight markings or an
unusual shape or matrix....something that may tell a story about it's
flight through the atmosphere....evidence of impact craters on sikhote
alins.( I have even managed this by studying batches for sale on line)
Knowing what to buy then just relies on your own experience.

Regards,

Graham