[meteorite-list] '100 percent' chance for life on newly foundplanet?

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 15:37:43 -0500

To The List Travel Club:

A 0.008c probe could be built tomorrow (got cash?). It
would take about 2600 years to reach the Gliese 581
system and maneuver through it and we could hope
the instrument packages would have survived.

Here's the real argument against primitive interstellar
probes: the "velocity" of technological advancement is
greater than the speed of primitive probes. In 200 years,
the 2600-year probe would be overtaken by a 800-year
probe. In another century, they would both be passed
by the "next-generation" system of propulsion, and so
forth. And by the time any of these probes could get there,
we might be able to go ourselves in a reasonable time
(by the ship's clocks).

On the other hand, we might be able to make a 100-year
probe by the end of the century. For now, we need to
concentrate on survey and data collection technologies.

For probe technology, I refer you to the 1973-78 study
by the British Interplanetary Society -- Project Daedalus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Daedalus
The project is currently being designed as Project Icarus:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Icarus_%28Interstellar_Probe_Design_Study%29

See also the 1987-88 study by NASA and the Air Force,
Project Longshot (good name)"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Longshot

Sterling K. Webb