[meteorite-list] International Shipping/Customs Questions

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 19:09:38 -0700 (PDT)

Matt and Listers,

That's a good question about whats the proper way of declaring meteorites for customs forms.

What I have done in the past is put rock sample. Now I am putting rock sample for research and checking the box that says other, but I might stick with gift box. Also, I would put $5 for value and not sure if the buyer had to pay a tax for that, but I havent heard any complaints, but I think ill just put a $2 value cap.

Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
eBaystore
http://shop.ebay.com/photophlow/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

[meteorite-list] International Shipping/Customs Questions
Matthew Martin mmartin at meteoritetreasures.com
Sun Oct 3 18:40:56 EDT 2010

Hi Everyone,

As I have been sending more specimens to international destinations, I
have some questions for those who have more experience in this arena.
I've searched the net and have not been able to find any information
related to this topic, so I hope it's not a repeat:

1. What is the proper declaration description of a meteorite for
customs forms?

I've seen a variety, such as "geological specimen", "geological
sample", "mineral specimen", etc., and want to know which terms are
best to use (and not to use). I have had a bad experience with a
package I was receiving which was labeled "meteorite" in the
description of the declaration form and a customs agent in Tennessee
called me and didn't want to release the package because "meteorites
could contain dangerous bacteria" (I'm not kidding!). Does it matter
is the term "sample" is used vs. "specimen"?

For this question, I am referring to loose meteorite specimens only
(not jewelry).

2. Are there any countries that anyone is aware of that prohibit the
receipt (import) of meteorites from individuals who live there?

Thanks in advance.

Matt Martin
Meteorite Treasures
www.meteoritetreasures.com

[meteorite-list] International Shipping/Customs Questions
Marcin Cimala marcin at meteoryt.net
Sun Oct 3 19:55:35 EDT 2010