[meteorite-list] International Shipping/Customs Questions

From: Marcin Cimala <marcin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 01:55:35 +0200

> 1. What is the proper declaration description of a meteorite for customs
> forms?

Good question!
>From my experiences I can say that its better to write anything than "inside
of this box is meteorite and its propably worth alot". We KNOW how normall
peoples react when they hear about meteorite. They are expensive, they are
interesting, they are rare. So its not a good idea to write "Meteorite" on
your shipping box. Better write "sample rock" or "rock sample for
classification + no value" etc... Whatever You want. Customs or postman in
99.99% have no idea what its inside and how much its worth, so better dont
tell them.

I even delete word "Meteorite" in peoples destination address!! Good example
is Mirko Graul :). Mirko why You have as Your shipping address in Paypal
"Mirko Graul Meteorites"? I dont think its good idea if You want receive
Your meteorites without problems. I alvays delete "Meteorites" from Your
address.

I dont remember when my shipping was lost for the last time or if any was
ever lost, but I dont send meteorites as parcels where I need to fill this
small green form and declare what is inside, how much its worth and what is
origin... Its better to send specimens as normal, ordinary registered
airmail lettes without declaring anything.

Once I have funny story with polish customs when I bought 30kg ordinary
chondrites from Morocco. They send me customs form to declare what is in
box, how much its worth. They need to know this to add taxes etc. So I
declare its worth 200$ rock samples for classification. Hmm it was 50% truth
becouse this NWA xxx is still only rocks. Few days later they call me and
Mr. Geologist told me that he know that they are meteorites and they are for
sure worth alot. So I told OK, they are meteorites and worth 400$ and if he
know better then he need to prove me that its worth more. Few days later I
got my meteorites, they got their taxes, everyone was happy.

Thats my night time impressions.
Good night.

http://www.Meteoryty.pl marcin(at)meteoryty.pl
http://www.PolandMET.com marcin(at)polandmet.com