[meteorite-list] Ultraviolet Space Rocks?

From: David Gunning <davidgunning_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 04:29:52 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All,

I notice that the "Rocks from Space Picture of the Day", dated about a
year ago, September 29, 2009, features an unusually remarkable glowing
fluorescent meteorite. It's described as "an 11.1 g piece of Norton
County (ASU#523)" where "The large enstatite crystals fluoresce bright
yellow." Quite an eyeful.

This is an oddball meteorite, I'm guessing, as I haven't seen pictures of
any other meteorites displaying fluorescent color values. Does this bode
well for other fluorescent meteorites being found? I mean, are the
scientists really looking and checking for fluorescent color values in
meteorites on a systematic basis?

If not, they may be missing the boat.

If you look closely at this picture you may be able to detect, as I do,
that there apparently are other possible fluorescent color values
happening, as well. I am referring to the noticable blue/green colored
fluoresent values below and to the right of the yellow colored enstatite
and to the upper left of the enstatite area, also.

To my understanding, these may indicate additional minerals with other
fluorescent color values reacting to utlraviolet light, too.

It's unfortunate that the person who took this picture did not take the
time and spend the effort to look carefully at their resulting picture.

I wonder what wavelength ultraviolet was used, although I guess it was
probably shortwave. If so, they may not have exposed the specimen to
midwave and longwave ultraviolet wavelengths, as well, consequently
denying themselves (and the rest of us!) valuable ultraviolet reactive
fluorescent color value information.

Is this simply a situation of sloppy science rearing it's ugly head?

Or does it indicate that ignorance is truly bliss, after all?

Yours for the light,

Dave Gunning