[meteorite-list] Ultraviolet Space Rocks?

From: almitt2 at localnet.com <almitt2_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 06:36:16 -0400

Hi David and all,

I'm not a geologist but I suspect that when the thinsections are made
and polarized light is used to reveal the various colors (mineral make
up) of the meteorite that this is in effect about the same thing as
using fluorescent lighting. They also use quite an array of other
systems to breakdown the meteorite into parts that are quite small and
tells them chemical makeup. This is part of telling them what it is and
if it is unique plus scores of other things like weathering, age and so
forth.

I'll let others chime in about this as I may be missing something and
am talking over my head here. All my best!

--AL Mitterling