[meteorite-list] Subject: Re: Habital Planet Discovery Announcement

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 20:46:15 -0500

Hi,

Larry is, as usual, completely correct. But there are
some rough indications. Dynamic studies show that
the system that exists is only dynamically stable if it
is co-planar. Meaning, the planets orbit at roughly the
same inclination, i.e., in the same plane.

So, assuming the system is co-planar, the next big
question is, do the planets transit the star? Many
attempts to observe transits have not found any.
So, presumably the orbital plane is tilted enough
to our line of sight that the planets don't cross the
star, when seen from here. But transits are very hard
to observe in a splotchy small M star.

The dynamic requirement of stability limits the maximum
and minimum masses. Earlier observations limited the
max to 1.6 times the minimum. These observations pin
it down further to a max of 1.4 times the min. More
observations will pin the range down further. Presently,
they say, the range is 3.1 E-masses to 4.3 E-masses.
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1009/1009.5733v1.pdf
(This is the discovery paper.)

The size of the planet is entirely an estimate and (like
everything else) is not simple. They say: "the radius of
GJ 581g is expected to be 1.3 - 1.5R if homogeneous
and composed primarily of the perovskite phase of MgSiO3
(Earth-like), or 1.7 - 2R if water-ice. All radii are predicted
to be 20% smaller if the planet is differentiated, so the
planet is likely to have a radius below 1.5R. The mass and
radius estimates imply a surface gravity of 1.1 - 1.7 g,
very near that of the Earth."

Since Gliese 581 does not have the same mix of elements
as our own star, all these Earth-like assumptions have a
certain shakiness about them. The "solar nebula" of Gliese
581 has twice as much hydrogen and helium as heavier
elements relative to our nebular proportions. So, one COULD
assume that there would be more volatiles in the planets.

For a solar system to have more volatiles is a Gimme for
the formation of planets like Jupiter and Saturn, gas giants
which are mostly volatiles. Yet, Gliese 581 has NO gas giants.
There is no Jupiter, hot or cold, not even a lousy Saturn.
It has a Neptune (16 E-masses), but it's the closest planet
to the star. It could be a Jupiter that spiraled in due to
dust drag and got its volatiles boiled off.

It is entirely possible that Gliese 581 has, instead, a volatile-
poor solar system, that all of its planets are terrestrial and
short on volatiles. How could that happen? Well, in a nebula
with less heavy elements, accretion would proceed more
slowly which would give the newly active star time to blow the
forming volatiles away. At the worse, all these worlds, in all
the available sizes, could be rocky and airless. (That would
explain the absence of "Jupiters.")

Equally possible is that if accretion proceeded very quickly,
all the planets could have accreted in place and be very
volatile-rich, ranging from a shiny steam-atmosphered giant
to waterworlds to iceballs.

Neiyher one sounds so "habitable," does it?

But, if they DO have atmospheres, we can say with certainty
that any planet's potential Greenhouse Effect will be greater
than the Earth's! Class M stars emit a large amount of their
radiation in the infrared. As a result, since the greenhouse
effect works by absorbing infrared radiation, the surface
temperatures would be higher than that predicted by
modeling such a world as if it were the Earth.

More transit observations would pin things down better.
The search for transits is best done by many telescopes,
properly equipped, over a long period of time, to determine
the light curve precisely. Even amateurs can contribute
and make discovery observations. See this website:
http://www.transitsearch.org/

Conceivably, if the planets transit, we could try to look for
signatures for any atmosphere.

All the exact data for all the Gliese 581 planets and blanks
where we don't know:
http://exoplanet.eu/star.php?st=Gl+581&showPubli=yes&sortByDate

Discussion of what "habitable" might mean:
http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=14589

Another "good" discussion on what is meant by the statement
that the chance of life is "good."
http://www.universetoday.com/74679/could-chance-for-life-on-gliese-581g-actually-be-100/

Frankly, I have always thought that we have very little
business deciding what "habitable" means. The very term
suggests that WE could inhabit the place. The notion that
WE are the standard by which "life" should be judged is
highly suspicious to me. It sounds very much like our
former unjustified assumption that our planet was the
center of the entire universe.

Is there somewhere a team of alien astronomers going
over their data on exoplanets with disappointment and
crossing off the list of targets to pursue further a world
that's too small, too hot, too wet, and with a significant
amount of a poisonous gas in its atmosphere. They've
just eliminated the Earth.

It is very hard for us to conceive of life in any other
terms than that of the life we know. It's difficult not
to be a "carbon chauvinist," as Carl Sagan called it.
It's a very complex system that we know actually
works. If there is another complex system that works,
we wouldn't know how it could work, even if we could
imagine its basics.

As long as we know only one system of living things,
we lack all basis for judgment. There could be thousands
of forms of intelligent life in the galaxy, every one with a
different physical system. Or there could be thousands
of forms of intelligent life in the galaxy, every one made
out of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen, and run
by DNA instructions.

There is no way to calculate the odds of either one.

Sterling K. Webb