[meteorite-list] Mojave Green Jeans - Images of a Killer Snake

From: Jan Bartels <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 23:56:12 +0100

Listoids,

Besides meteorites we are also keepers and breeders of these nasty "worms"
for almost 30 years now.
Besides several Cobra species, Puffadders, Asian and African Bushvipers we
also have some Rattlers as well. Never got bitten until about 3 months back.
We had a nest of 7 babies, at least I thought so....number 8 showed itself
after removing the water bowl from their cage and got me right in one of my
fingers. When you think of a baby ratler produces less venom your way
wrong!! The thing is they still need to learn how to control the amount of
venom needed when hunting for prey. The adults may even give a "dry bite"
many times just to defend themselves and are more or less aware they need
their venom better to catch prey. I got a bite from an adult Diamond Back a
few years ago and nothing happened......

Believe me, when they stike and give you the full amount....you'll know!!
Immediately when that baby got me, my finger started swelling up. The pain
was unbaerable. When you feel the venom is pumped in your finger it feels
like a very hot local electric shock.

After a few hours my arm turned all colors of the rainbow and at the end my
complete arm was swollen over 6 inches thicker than my other arm.
I ended up at the ICU with tubes sticking out from every hole in my body,
beeping monitors everywhere and needed 8 vails of antivenom with an even
more dangerous risk....not everybody reacts positive on these antivenoms and
they even may get things worse. You even may suffer from an aflectic shock
(an extra alergic reaction from the rattlers venom) which also can be
deadly.
Because all went pretty fast and I was in time for proper treatment I still
have my arm (with my finger still numb though) Most of my smaller vains were
"eaten" by the hematoxin which caused the black and blue colors, I stll have
some kidney and liver failure but at least I'm still alive. The antivenom
really worked well in my case and after that the recovery went really fast.

Just an extra warning on all posts about this subject....be carefull also
for the babies!!!

Theres an old saying going in our crazy hobby about rattlers:

A rattlesnake is a nasty desert worm saying...."f...ck off" on one
side....and "that's why"... on the other !!

Take care on these desert hunts!!

Jan,
IMCA 9833
Holland