[meteorite-list] Meteorite Meme (TM) - Alien Life

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 10:04:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Dirk,

You wrote:

The meteorite memes (TM) have stolen what most people think about meteorites
and it is very sad (seems only $$$ memes and get rich quick memes abound).

I feel your pain. In a poor economy with the population focusing on mid-term
elections here in the U.S.A., there seems to be little interest in commenting on
"mundane" items like meteorites these days. Attach ludicrous price tags to
them and unwanted outside interest is sure to develop. In reality, the prices of
most meteorites are at historical lows so all this talk of treasure and riches
has done nothing to improve their monetary value. It has however increased the
amount of meteorite wrongs on eBay from people who desperately want to get rich
without following any protocol whatsoever. When people are starving, they will
hold onto dreams of riches with unmatched tenacity. Who can blame them? I
think that this avocation is out of balance. Perhaps the scientific value will
increase with new discoveries as the economy recovers.

Happy Hunting,

Adam