[meteorite-list] Our next major source of meteorites?

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 13:15:44 -0400

Hi Pete,

Yes, that is true. Dunes "march" and they cover up exposed meteorites
and reveal meteorites that were buried. The problem is, the
meteorites are being in harvested in numbers that greatly exceed the
new fall rate. At some point, (and we are already seeing this), the
numbers of recovered meteorites are going to decline. I fear that it
won't be long before the law of diminishing returns rears it's ugly
head. If one looks around the world and tries to find a region that
duplicates the meteorite potential of the Saharan Desert, one has a
hard time finding another source to match (or come close) to the
Sahara. We have the Gobi in Mongolia and China, but don't expect the
Chinese to be as lenient as the Moroccans. The Atacama has
meteorites, but not on the same level as Morocco/Western Sahara. I
think we are lucky to be collectors during these bountiful days of the
Saharan Rush, but I really don't think there is another Morocco
waiting in the wings.

Best regards,

MikeG