[meteorite-list] meteor in northern VA?Md???WI??

From: Joe Kerchner <skyrockmeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 10:10:23 -0700 (PDT)

it was Md not Pa, sorry.
also forgot the link.
Here it is:
http://weblogs.marylandweather.com/2010/05/early_risers_spot_green_fireba.html

 Best Wishes,
Joe Kerchner
http://illinoismeteorites.com
http://skyrockcafe.com

----- Original Message ----
From: Elizabeth Warner <ewarner at umd.edu>
To: Meteorite List <meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com>
Sent: Mon, May 10, 2010 10:34:32 AM
Subject: [meteorite-list] meteor in northern VA???

Okay, I work at the UM Obs in College Park... just got a call from someone from one of the local tv stations asking about a possible meteor sighting this morning...

I'm getting the details 4th or 5th hand at this point... Roughly around 5am... On the Dulles toll road, probably facing roughly east, moving N-S just above/in the trees... Ch 4 is also going to try track down some police officers who also supposedly saw it to try to get some info...

However, there were a number of IR Flares this morning between 4 and 5am that were fairly low in the sky and possibly in the same direction. And looking through a car windshield might make them look green!
http://www.heavens-above.com/iridium.asp?Dur=2&Date=40306.6324262616&lat=38.981&lng=-76.937&loc=College+Park&alt=0&tz=EST

I have not seen anything mentioned on the local club listserves nor have I had any other calls...

If I hear anything more, I'll let you know... If you hear anything, please let me know... But right now, I'm leaning towards the IR Flare explanation...

Clear Skies!
Elizabeth Warner
warnerem at astro.umd.edu
301-405-6555