[meteorite-list] meteor in northern VA???

From: Elizabeth Warner <ewarner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 11:34:32 -0400

Okay, I work at the UM Obs in College Park... just got a call from
someone from one of the local tv stations asking about a possible meteor
sighting this morning...

I'm getting the details 4th or 5th hand at this point... Roughly around
5am... On the Dulles toll road, probably facing roughly east, moving N-S
just above/in the trees... Ch 4 is also going to try track down some
police officers who also supposedly saw it to try to get some info...

However, there were a number of IR Flares this morning between 4 and 5am
that were fairly low in the sky and possibly in the same direction. And
looking through a car windshield might make them look green!
http://www.heavens-above.com/iridium.asp?Dur=2&Date=40306.6324262616&lat=38.981&lng=-76.937&loc=College+Park&alt=0&tz=EST

I have not seen anything mentioned on the local club listserves nor have
I had any other calls...

If I hear anything more, I'll let you know... If you hear anything,
please let me know... But right now, I'm leaning towards the IR Flare
explanation...

Clear Skies!
Elizabeth Warner
warnerem at astro.umd.edu