[meteorite-list] Discussions About Meteorite Collecting on BLM Land

From: Paul H. <oxytropidoceras_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 12:47:16 -0500

Given the recent discussion about it, I did a Google
Search for discussions, outside of the meteorite list.
I should note, that the links, which posted below,
are what I found, and in no way represent my
position on this topic. In plain English, if a person
disagrees or dislikes what is posted on a web page,
they should either complain to, email, or argue with
the specific author of a post / web page and not me.

1. Metal Detecting/Collecting Meteorites new law
American Gold Prospectors and Metal Detecting>
Gold Prospecting Forum> Gold Prospecting Forum
http://www.arizonagoldprospectors.com/invision/index.php?/topic/168160-metal-detectingcollecting-meteorites-new-law/

2. Astromart? Forums ? ?Meteorite Hunting Association??
and ?Glorieta strewn field in New Mexico?. Discussions
on the Astromart web page. A person needs to be
registered and logged into in order to view.
http://www.astromart.com/Default.asp?

3. Az. Meteorites belong to Goverment!!!!!! Treasure Net
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=6d2edf188fca4bc84f1ca371fb2041cf&topic=305851.0;wap

and ?Do you really own Meteorites found on Public Land?
Not if the G-Man wants it.?
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=67089.0;wap

4. New law Meteorite Hunting is illegal, Nuggethunting
Forums> Nuggethunting.com General Prospecting
Forums"> Gold Nugget Hunting & Prospecting Forum
http://www.nuggethunting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7019

5. Gold Basin and General meteorite Ownership info
Nugget Shooter Forums, Meteorite Hunting and
Collecting Forum, A person needs to be registered
and logged to access thread.
http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=11014

6. New Law Meteorites hunting/collecting illegal
Arizona Outback's Prospecting Forum> Arizona
Outback's Main Forum> AZO's: Gold Prospecting Forum
http://arizonaoutback.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=8460

7. Legalities and common courtisies, Nugget Shooter
Forums, Meteorite Hunting and Collecting Forum. A
person needs to be registered and logged to access thread.
http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=15894&mode=linear

8. Anyone hunt meteorites for fun or money? (hunting,
metal detecting, treasure hunting), City-Data Forum >
General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
http://www.city-data.com/forum/hobbies-recreation/513725-anyone-hunt-meteorites-fun-money.html

A couple of interesting PDF files are:

1. Mining Claim Procedures for Nevada Prospectors
and Miners by Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology
http://www.nbmg.unr.edu/dox/sp6.pdf

" Meteorites: not locatable and the collection of large
or otherwise scientifically interesting specimens comes
under the Antiquities Act (16 USC 432; People of the
State of California ex rel. Younger v. Mead, 618 F.2d 618
[1980])."

2. Archaeological Resources Protection Act of 1979
http://www.nps.gov/history/local-law/FHPL_ArchRsrcsProt.pdf

Finally, I noted that the meteorite mailing list posts
are getting reposted automatically to other web
pages. One of them is at:

http://www.mentby.com/Group/meteorite-list/

and another is at:

http://www.opensubscriber.com/messages/meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com/topic.html