[meteorite-list] Discussions About Meteorite Collecting on BLM Land

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 11:22:38 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Paul,

I will have to read it more carefully when I return from the field on Monday. Apparently, there is not much case law judging from the lack of meteorite references, only two in California. It looks like none of the two cases made it to supreme court and basically the finders just gave up when confronted or the judgment was reversed if I read the excel sheet in regards to Younger v. Meade correctly.

In any case, any meteorite laws will serve to undermine searching or reporting scientifically valuable finds. My guess is that the first North American Lunar will be found on private property or in a long-forgotten rock collection regardless of where it was found, especially if it was found in Oregon or Washington state.

Best Regards,

Adam