[meteorite-list] Help with Kunya-Urgench

From: hxmendoza <hxmendoza_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 10:55:11 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks to all who have contributed in helping to rule out Kunya-
Urgench. I definately agree that it is not that meteorite.

Bernd suggested a NWA 806 and NWA 984. They were similar. Thank you
Bernd. I had gone thru the Bulletin listings and the pics it posts and
came up with thirteen that resemble it. But I had to stop at NWA 2707.

As I said before, the dealer first said it was an NWA. He also said it
was in the low numbers. I just talked to him on the phone again, and
he is going thru all his labels now looking for any that do not have
any meteorites with it to account for. (I know...I was rolling my eyes
too). He says he feels pretty sure it's a number less than 1000.

So the search continues. I've pretty much decided that it's futile. I
only paid $15 dollars for it and I just weighed it and it is 17.0
grams. I didn't pay that much for it and it is an attractive matrix.
That was what caught my eye about it in the first place. So I'm not
going to try to return it. I just like it too much.

So unless, by some miracle, the dealer actually finds the correct
label, I will just label the sucker as an unclassified NWA, and use it
as a learning experience. I'll still enjoy looking at it on my
collection shelf. And it'll always be there to remind me...

The best part of it all though was watching many of you go into action!

Sleuth's abound!!

So, though quite frustrating for me, and I'm sure for some of you too,
be proud in the fact that the Met-List did one of the things it was
meant to do: sharing helpful information with a neieve (sp?) newbie out.

Give yourselves a pat on the back. You made it fun!

Regards,
Henry Mendoza
Aurora, CO

Sent from my iPod