[meteorite-list] Nickel free metal in Meteorites

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 15:23:12 -0400

Alan,
Wow, I appreciate that your points are put in terms I can follow but Would you be so kind as to explain a bit better for me to understand?
Again, I respect you enough to hear what you are saying but, you lost me in some of your points. I will question below in all caps. No, I'm not yelling.
Thanks.
--
Carl or Debbie Esparza
Meteoritemax
---- Alan Rubin <aerubin at ucla.edu> wrote:
> Low-Ni or Ni-free iron doesn't occur just in some chondrules.  It is also
> found in impact-melt-rock clasts in ordinary chondrites and at the edges of
> olivine grains in ureilites.
SO, THIS MAY EXPLAIN THE KALAHARI FIND OF THIS NICKEL FREE IRON? AND YOUR INPUT IS HIGHLY APPRECIATED HERE.
These rocks have experienced localized in situ
> reduction of FeO to metallic Fe as Jeff has pointed out.  But let's look at
> the context, these low-Ni metallic iron grains are situated within mafic
> silicate grains that have lots of SiO2, MgO and (away from the reduced
> metal) FeO.  They are formed in the solid state.  A large iron meteorite
> isn't situated within a mass of mafic silicate.  You could argue that it
> broke off, but this also wouldn't work.  Diffusion of oxygen out of the iron
> mass would probably take longer than the age of the solar system.
ARE WE TALKING 13 BILLION YEARS HERE (BIG BANG) ? OR 4.6 BILLION?
WHY COULD THIS NOT HAVE OCCURRED AT THE TIME OF BIG BANG .THIS WAS VERY HOT AND QUICK?
In
> addition, iron meteorite falls typically contain at least a few inclusions
> of troilite, schreibersite, cohenite, graphite, etc. that would not form by
> reduction of FeO.
RESPECTFULLY, EXACTLY MY POINT. HOW WOULD WE EVER KNOW IF THESE THINGS ARE IN A ROCK THAT WE DISMISS BECAUSE IT HAS NO NICKEL? SEEMS TO ME THERE SHOULD BE A BETTER WAY.
So, I'm afraid that I don't believe that we're missing
> real meteorites by categorizing Ni-free iron masses as meteor-wrongs.
JUST ASKING. I JUST DON'T GET HOW NICKEL IN AN IRON CAN BE 3 TO 60 PERCENT AND NOT ZERO PERCENT? ESPECIALLY NOW THAT WE KNOW ZERO PERCENT  DOES EXIST IN SPACE. SOMETHING DIFFERENT MIGHT BE GOING ON?
THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP.
CARL