[meteorite-list] Nickel free metal in Meteorites

From: Alan Rubin <aerubin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 11:22:36 -0700

Low-Ni or Ni-free iron doesn't occur just in some chondrules. It is also
found in impact-melt-rock clasts in ordinary chondrites and at the edges of
olivine grains in ureilites. These rocks have experienced localized in situ
reduction of FeO to metallic Fe as Jeff has pointed out. But let's look at
the context, these low-Ni metallic iron grains are situated within mafic
silicate grains that have lots of SiO2, MgO and (away from the reduced
metal) FeO. They are formed in the solid state. A large iron meteorite
isn't situated within a mass of mafic silicate. You could argue that it
broke off, but this also wouldn't work. Diffusion of oxygen out of the iron
mass would probably take longer than the age of the solar system. In
addition, iron meteorite falls typically contain at least a few inclusions
of troilite, schreibersite, cohenite, graphite, etc. that would not form by
reduction of FeO. So, I'm afraid that I don't believe that we're missing
real meteorites by categorizing Ni-free iron masses as meteor-wrongs.
Alan