[meteorite-list] Unbreakable Asteroids

From: Richard Kowalski <kowalski_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 13:25:27 -0700

--- On Thu, 3/11/10, Meteorites USA <eric at meteoritesusa.com> wrote:

> Now who's going to find the next
> one? Greg, Richard? Anyone?

Thanks Eric.

Every year since 2005, we have discovered a record breaking number of new NEOs.
Before October 2008, we had discussed discovering small impactors, but without
much expectation of actually doing it. Since then, we have spent a lot more time
discussing requirements and strategies needed to increase our odds in
discovering more of these objects in their terminal plunge without hindering our
primary responsibility, discovering and tracking NEOs which are 1-km in diameter
and larger.

Some of you may have read about our proposed second phase survey, dubbed
"CSS-II" in the National Research Council's "Defending Planet Earth: Near-Earth
Object Surveys and Hazard Mitigation Strategies: Final Report", which was
released a few months ago. We are confident that this system would likely turn
up more small sized impactors before the terminal plunge.

If funded, CSS-II would be a follow on and expansion of our current survey,
which is funded through 2013. We are also investigating ways to obtain cameras
with larger sensors and Fields of View than our current cameras. These new
cameras would allow us to cover even greater amount of sky in less time. This
would also have the added benefit of increasing the odds of finding more small
impactors.

It is unlikely that any other current or future survey, with the exception of
CSS/CSS-II, will be able to discover these suicidal rocks before (or if), LSST
becomes operational sometime after 2016.

Unfortunately with current government budgetary constraints, this desirable
upgrade may not take place unless we find a private benefactor.

--
Richard Kowalski
Catalina Sky Survey