[meteorite-list] US Witnessed Fall book

From: Frank Cressy <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 12:31:07 -0800 (PST)

Hello all,

Since Jack mentioned on his "Kendleton correction" post that I was writing a book on falls, I have received a couple of emails requesting information about it or wishing to reserve a copy when it's completed.? I'm, of course, very flattered?in the?interest, but the book?is far from being completed.? I'm hoping it will be done in a year, but there is quite a lot of work to be done, especially on proofing it.

The book will be on US witnessed falls with a page or two devoted to each fall.? The focus is mainly on the fall circumstances of each, and I am also attempting to?include representative photos of each fall.? Including finds that are?possible falls, I count 155 meteorites, and to date have written fairly complete drafts on about 130 of them, so I still have a lot of work to do.? I do see light at the end of the tunnel, however, after working on it the last three years.

Many?of you have helped me with this project, and I want to thank all of you again.? Without your help, this book would be impossible to do.

I have gleaned information on most of the falls, but have found there is a serious lack of information concerning the fall and recovery circumstances of the Garland, Utah and Aztec, New Mexico meteorites.? Additionally, the Williard (b), New Mexico meteorite was said to have been a fall.? If anyone has information on these three meteorites, I certainly would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks for your interest,

Frank