[meteorite-list] Biggest Meteorites by Type

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 16:37:40 -0400

Hi Martin, Greg, and List!

Thanks for the heads-up about the photos and links to Kalahari 009. I
have some reading on Dr. Korotev's website (and elsewhere) to do
tonight. :)

Greg, your new NWA 5400, what class is that again? I want to put it
on the biggest meteorites list, but I don't recall what classification
it is. The Met Bulletin lists it as "Achondrite-ungrouped". There
is a 12kg achon-ung from Russia called "Divnoe", but like all
meteorites in this class, each one is a class unto itself, so
comparing Divnoe to NWA 5400 is like comparing apples to oranges. How
should I single out NWA 5400 on the list? I'm trying to remember the
phrase you used in your original announcement for it, but now I can't
find it.

It's tricky trying to discern which specimen is the biggest using Met
Bulletin and CoM data - because in many cases only the TKW is listed
and there is no mention of how many masses or what the largest single
mass was/is. It's easy to divide the TKW by the number of known
masses and get an average weight per mass, but what I am looking for
is an authoritative statement of what the biggest known single mass
is.

For example, the TKW of Al-Haggounia is listed as "3 MT" and there is
mention of a size range - "It is impossible to assess precisely the
amount of material already (and to be) recovered, but according to
dealers, collectors, and Jambon it is about 3 metric tons composing
many samples of varied sizes (from a few g to 50 kg)." But there is
no way to determine what the largest known mass is from this data
alone. The same is true for many meteorite types. Of course, I am
assuming the Al-Haggounia is the largest of the EL3 type. (despite
being erroneously listed as an aubrite)

Best regards,

MikeG

PS - Greg C, email me and remind me to send you a copy of the completed list. :)