[meteorite-list] Biggest Meteorites by Type

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 11:06:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Mike,

You are correct listing the largest Lunaite this way:

Largest Lunar meteorite - NWA 5000 / Kalahari 009

Northwest Africa 5000 displaces more than 4,238 Cubic Centimeters while Kalahari 009 is estimated to be less than 4,122 Cubic Centimeters. I arrived at these numbers by using conservative figures in regards to bulk density. In general, Mare type lunar meteorites are more dense than Highland types. The gabbro portion of NWA 5000 is very porous and then there are those incredible solar wind implanted gas bubbles displacing even more space than the figure I gave. In my opinion and most professionals I have communicated with, NWA 5000 is the largest by size and Kalahari 009 is the heaviest if they ever certify the weight. They represent two different ways of measuring.

Just because something might weigh more doesn't make it the largest. I cringe every time I hear Kalahari 009 being referred to as the largest lunar meteorite ever found when in fact this has never been proven. The weight was simply rounded off with no certification and no dimensions were ever given. I think a lunar or any other rare type of meteorite should have been handled better than this. For all I know, Kalahari 009 could have been weighed on a produce or bathroom scale and we all know how accurate these are.

Best Regards,

Adam