[meteorite-list] Technical question about NomCom and Bulletin

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 07:57:06 -0400

Martin and list,

No, votes do not have to be unanimous. No meteorite has even been
rejected on this basis. There are ongoing discussions both within the
nomenclature committee and between the committee and council about
ethical issues like this, and I would characterize several committee
members as "deeply concerned." But right now, it has not affected the
operations of the committee.

I think it would be a good discussion topic for the List. Some
questions could be, "Is it ethical for the Meteoritical Society to
approve and publish the names and data about meteorites for which there
may be doubt -- or just lack of information -- about whether they were
legally removed from their country of origin? Does such endorsement and
publication potentially provide some degree of support for illegal
activity?"

These are not easy questions. Note that the activities of the Society
only involve dissemination of information... the Society does not buy,
sell, or trade meteorites, nor directly support research done on them.
It is also a non-profit organization in the US with unpaid board and
committee members.

I would be glad to answer questions, but I will not participate in any
discussion on the List. I will listen.

Jeff

--
Dr. Jeffrey N. Grossman       phone: (703) 648-6184
US Geological Survey          fax:   (703) 648-6383