[meteorite-list] Technical question about NomCom and Bulletin

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 12:51:46 +0200

Hello,

I have a question, whether the vote of the Nomenclature Committee of the
Meteoritical Society has to be unanimous, that a new meteorite will be
recognized?

I got somewhat worried, when I read the last "Minutes of the Council" of the
MetSoc:
http://www.meteoriticalsociety.org/newsletter/2009%20Mar%20minutes.pdf

There under 6):

"The nomcom is also still struggling with the
question of how to handle meteorites that may be illegally exported from
their countries of origin;
some members will not vote to approve names for such meteorites."

Has this happened already and which meteorites were afflicted?

I'm worried, that the scientific quality of the Meteoritical Bulletin as THE
standard reference source for all meteorites and that for generations of
researchers and collectors could strongly deteriorate, if that position has
an influence on the recognition process.

And I think, that position isn't conform to the guidelines for NomCom.
See:
1.1 Objectives

http://www.meteoriticalsociety.org/bulletin/nc-guidelines.htm

Also MetSoc states on the homepage:

http://www.meteoriticalsociety.org/

"The Meteoritical Society is the organization that records all known
meteorites in its Meteoritical Bulletin"

(The actual members of the Nomcom you'll find here:
http://www.meteoriticalsociety.org/bulletin/TermExpirations.htm )

Thanks,
Martin