[meteorite-list] AD - Auctions/Thoughts

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 20:35:32 +0100

Hi just found this,

So here a late thought...

I'd say - whether meteorites are found or whether meteorites continue to be
found to that great extent like in the last 10-20 years,
is not a question of the productive areas being depleted by searching
activities,

it is solely a political question.

Meteorite finding requires: Time, manpower, money and skills.
(and of course enthusiasm).

Aside the Antarctic campaigns virtually no country and no university is able
or willing to invest in these basic requirements.

Until now that hadn't been necessary, as the meteorites were found and
delivered to the countries and institutes by the private sector with a much
greater efficiency seen the find rates, the quality of the finds and the
costs for the public.

This is now about being changed. More and more laws in more and more
countries are installed to eliminate the private sector.
But in the same time no public efforts are undertaken to replace the
performance of the private sector.

The consequences are evident.
Everybody can easily proof the statistics.
Australia stroke that path and had to hit the road then. Result of this
decade: Less than 1 new find per year. A meteoritic output smaller than in
the dawn of Australian meteoritics in the 1850ies. But the deserts there are
full of meteorites. And there are so many people on that globe, which can
find them, if they're only would be allowed to do so.
Meteorite science in Australia is about becoming obsolete.

In Oman, if the laws there would have been enforced more resolutely,
we wouldn't have the wealth of Omani meteorites, we can enjoy today.
(In fact we wouldn't have any else than old Ghubara, cause Oman became aware
only of having meteorites in the desert, because the privateers found them
there).
And seen the population of meteorites regarding the types, suspicion arouse,
that private hunter maybe found a better representation of the distribution
of meteorites there.

Similar, but more drastic case, was the EUROMET expedition to the Kem-Kem
region in Sahara, where nothing was found (would have to look, 2 OCs or so),
but only a short time after, there the NWA-rush started with the first
hundredweights of meteorites from the Kem-Kem region, collected by locals.

Libya - the find rates broke down to 2-3% of the years, the private hunters
were active.

Btw. also in Canada there is a slight regress in the number of fall
recoveries.

And of course we wouldn't have any Antarctic meteorites at all, if it
wouldn't have been achieved in the 1970ies to find a legal status for them.
Imagine, if they would have been regarded as natural resources (like
obviously in some countries, where they are set under their mining acts),
no country would have been allowed to collect them.

The problem modern meteoritics suffers from, is,
that on the one hand privateers recovered and opened up the most productive
find areas,
that they recover the new falls, that extremely more manpower for finding
meteorites is available today, and that the finds are delivered at a cost
factor 50 or 100 times lower than it would cost the taxpayer and the
countries to generate a similar amount and quality of finds

but that on the other hand inadequate laws are applied, which make it
impossible for the private sector to continue with its important work,
while - which would be the only alternative - the countries are not willing
or able to pay for sufficient own efforts for meteorite recovery.

Australia we have seen. Libya we saw. Russia we are about to see. Oman we
would see. Algeria& NWA we will see.
(Denmark, Poland, Switzerland - must be extreme happy countries without any
other problems, that they even came to the idea to find legal regulations
for their tiny handful meteorites of the last 1000 years... :-) And I cry
for you, Argentiiiina....)

And the really alarming thing is: If that legal development will continue,
we won't fall back to the cosy 1940ies-1970ies,
but we will be catapulted back to zero,
because in the Krantz, Ward, Foote, Nininger times (those were the guys, who
filled the museums and universities with meteorites, just like the modern
dealers and hunters today - who have though the more interesting material
and are much cheaper than their famous ancestors) such laws didn't exist.

Three possibilities exist not to let World meteoritics die:
1) Cancel the laws.
2) Make laws with a fair incentive for finders.
3) Continue with such laws, but care for the funds to replace the private
performance with official recovery efforts.
1 single team of 4-6 people for 3-4 weeks per years outside Antarctica is
not enough. And if you take the costs of EUROMET and their non-Antarctic
find rates, you will see, that this is the most expensive solution and will
cost billions over the years.

Seen from the points of view of the scientists and of the taxpayers,
solution 1) - let's call that hypothesis polemically: "Men at work. Don't
disturb." - is certainly the most promising.

The concept to obtain meteorites by prohibiting or restricting private
ownership is - with the historic exception of czarist Russia and India
protecting their meteorites from the access of colonial England -
a concept of the 1960ies.
Although the experiences showed, that in these countries, where it was
implemented, the outcome was disastrous and that it ended with the opposite
results, which were initially intended,
that concept runs unchanged like a red thread through the decades until to
the newest prohibitive laws of the present.
It is carried on by people, who are not aware of the history of meteoritics,
nor the mechanisms how meteorites are and were always found.

I know of only one international organisation of meteoritics:
The Meteoritical Society.

I would mean, that the Meteoritical Society is in charge to counteract that
fatal development. It is the most urgent and it is the most important
problem in the 200 years of modern meteoritics.

(To say it clear, also for such simple minded people like me: No meteorite
science without meteorites.)

I know that by their statutes, it is forbidden for MetSoc to act
politically.
But I think, especially the commission of ethics of MetSoc should give
recommendations, based on a more modern state of art and the data of the
last 25 years,
that such countries without restrictions like USA or Morocco shall stay open
and recommendations, how laws in countries with prohibition could be
modified, that a meaningful scientific work will become one day possible
again in these countries.

And if we don't do it now, we will loose all.
And what will be lost - it will take generations to get it back once.

Well - thoughts only. If they contain a kernel of truth, we'll see in 3-10
years. (Hopefully rather 10 than 3, but....).

Best!
Martin

PS: Mike, China... EUROMET was in the Mongolian part of Gobi. They found
nothing. And I'm not sure whether Chinese meteorites fall under the same
cultural relic act like their fossils. If so, then anyway they would be
strrrrictly illegal. According this act - private ownership is in principle
possible, but under very narrow circumstances,
and private owner are not allowed to sell or to trade else than to Chinese
institutions. The transport to foreign countries is strictly forbidden,
which makes also the international exchange between scientific institutions
very difficult.

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----