[meteorite-list] A query

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 07:49:46 -0800 (PST)

Dear List Members,

I noticed a lot of recent traffic to my email from people who think they have a real meteorite. They know it is real because it looks just like the piece they saw on a web-site or TV. They are contacting me through eBay which I find objectionable. I just say, "that is great, you need to go find a credible source to confirm it and then we can talk and please do not use eBay for non-business related inquiries."

I no longer offer to help as these leads never pan out and the finder doesn't want to
believe what you tell them anyway. They think their ordinary rock or
slag is worth millions and their ticket out of a bad economy. There is a serious increase in such inquiries and I find them to be a complete
waste of time so I no longer provide references to credible laboratories.

I find it best to ignore such inquiries as there is no way to win in such circumstances. You will always be the bad guy or gal when you tell them it is not a meteorite.

Best Regards,

Adam