[meteorite-list] AD - SALE and FUNDRAISER

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:39:40 -0700

You know, the meteorite museum idea is a phenomenally wonderful
philanthropic gesture and contribution to the meteorite community. I've
spoken with Greg at length about it, and he's very excited. He's also a
realist. He knows it could fail easily, but he's willing to take the
risk. I've heard some rather negative remarks about the museum from some
but still I think it's a good idea, if done right. Can you think of a
better idea, or why this shouldn't or couldn't be done? Here's what I see.

IF it takes off in the small town, it would most probably work in a
larger city.
IF it survives the first year in the small town, it could easily be
moved to a slightly more populated area.
Year 2 or 3 could see the museum moved to a larger city like nearby
Charlotte
Charlotte is a larger city who's population could easily support a
meteorite museum
As the success continues to build over time, more institutions and
private collectors could help support this museum network by donating
the funding needed and loaning meteorites to the museum(s) for display
and study.
The museum could be also be expanded and supported in part by locating
it near Universities in other larger cities throughout the USA.
Universities could have a meteorite study programs alongside any
astronomy related education currently part of their curriculum
Cooperation and participation by Universities and collectors could
create a foundation upon which an entire meteorite museum network could
be founded.
The opportunity for growth and outreach to communities and students of
astronomy related studies and meteoritics is phenomenal

Keep in mind, if he can make it work in this economy, in a small town,
with very little funding, it could be the catalyst from something much
grander and more educationally fulfilling than anyone could imagine. But
it will take the efforts of many people working together to make it happen.

Meteorites for display/loan to the museum could come from any number of
sources. There are literally tens of thousands of meteorites in
institutional and private collection that could be loaned or donated to
the museum. More than enough to fill 50 small meteorite museums in 50
capitol cities! Placing the museums close to Universities would help
alleviate some fears of lost material, which at the same time allowing
much of the material that's currently locked away in specimen drawers to
the viewed and enjoyed by the public thereby creating one of the largest
meteorite outreach programs in the history of meteorites. What better
way to do that than with a meteorite museum that if successful could
reach millions of people in every capital city in every state of our
great union. The potential for education, and propagation of knowledge
of meteoritics would be unmatched. What better name for such a museum,
than one being named after our beloved and much respected Norton and
Nininger.

There's a risk sure, but the reward far outweighs any risk of loss,
funding, or lack of interest. If this fails, it's not because Greg
didn't try...

I believe in the idea of a meteorite museum, and support it 110%.

Regards,
Eric