[meteorite-list] Magnet canes are evil DONT THINK SO!

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 12:47:28 -0700

Hi John, List,

Who the heck said I was experienced?! ;) LOL I'm sure there are people
who'd argue against that... (they'd be wrong, but that doesn't stop the
their BS now does it?)

No offense meant. I think you took what I was saying personally and the
wrong way. I never said "magnets are bad". I asked questions about
contamination...

That said, I still use one. In certain circumstances. Does that make me
an evil meteorite monger? No, and neither does it make anyone else that
uses a meteorite stick an evil person.

I asked the question because I don't know about magnetic properties and
study of these properties in meteorites. I don't really know the
importance of the magnetic property issue, hence my question to Rob, and
the list. Logically I would deduce that if you were going to measure the
magnetic properties of a meteorite you would not want to contaminate the
meteorite by introducing a source of highly powerful magnetism to the
meteorite before you measured it. Seems illogical to me. However I could
be wrong, and I honestly don't know.

Also, in my opinion, (which you have every right to disagree with) if
you remove a meteorite from it's resting place before recording it's
location, it dilutes the data to an extent... Granted you can set it
back down, take a picture, and even record the EXACT GPS location. All
the information as far as science is concerned is accurate right? No...
What the meteorite looked like "in-situ" for eons before you ever
touched it is gone. The data is gone because the meteorite was disturbed
by the magnet from it's resting place before a picture was taken. Does
this matter? People would argue that too.

So technically, you're right, I did come down hard on using magnets. But
hey, magnets are tough, I'm sure they can take it. I wasn't attacking
anyone at all, I was questioning the use of magnets with relation to
studying magnetic properties of meteorites and the seemingly obvious
contamination using one would cause.

Also, for the record, there's nothing wrong with testing a suspect
meteorite to see if it "sticks" to a magnet. I do it, everyone I know
does it. in fact I don't know a meteorite hunter that doesn't carry a
neo mag on him/her at all times while in the field, and most times
anywhere they go.

I will agree 100% with you on your comments:

"...Meteorite Hunting is a fun activity that people of all ages can be
involved in.... I think any activity that promotes the science, culture,
and study of them should be encouraged, even looking for them with a
magnet on a stick!..."

Right on!

Regards,
Eric