[meteorite-list] Magnet canes are evil DONT THINK SO!

From: John higgins <geohiggins_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 11:52:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Eric,

Respectfully,
I think your statement is outrageous, especially coming from the creator of the
upcoming Meteorite Hunting Magazine. How can you make a statement that is in
opposition to what you are promoting?
There is nothing wrong with using a meteorite stick!
Meteorite Hunting is a fun activity that people of all ages can be involved in.
You should know what a special experience it is to be hunting out in the field
and find a real meteorite. Sure over time you learn that you should not hold
magnets to meteorites, this act will make them useless for certain magnetic
experiments. But to say from the door that magnets are bad is kind of ridiculous
in my opinion. Everyone knows the first Meteorite test is to see if a magnet
sticks. Sure it would be great if all Meteorite hunters were as experienced as
you are, but this is not the case, and they cannot be taught to spot a meteorite
without the use of a magnet, or first hand experience. That is just the reality
that we live in. Almost every collector holds up a magnet to a meteorite to test
it, why don't you go attack them for that matter. Meteorite Hunting is fun. I
think any activity that promotes the science, culture, and study of them should
be encouraged, even looking for them with a magnet on a stick!

John Higgins
IMCA# 9822