[meteorite-list] Magnet canes are evil

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 10:44:42 -0700

Curious about the magnetic properties of meteorites as well. We all know
that you can magnetize metal just by placing it near a powerful magnet.

I read yesterday in Richard Kowalski's post about Brother Guy
Consolmagno's visit to Tucson. Dr Concolmagno's research also includes
the study of magnetic properties of meteorites. I'm sure he's not the
only person to study these properties, but it got me to thinking about
it. If one does in fact use a magnet cane on a meteorite, do you impart
any magnetic field into the meteorite? I would think yes, even if it is
small on a scale only readable by the most powerful equipment.

My question is does it cause problems with analyzing/testing? Is this a
form of contamination?

My question would of course then be... Why use a magnetic cane at all?

If you think about it, we're "taught" NOT to remove a meteorite from
it's original location until we get in-situ photos, and record GPS
coordinates of the find. If you use a magnetic cane, the meteorite will
be removed from it's ancient resting place as it "snaps" onto the magnet.

Eric