[meteorite-list] Most expensive meteorites!

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 16:04:01 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Ed and List,

I don't think collectors are all nuts, just showing a passion for exceedingly
interesting objects. The price of fine art has plummeted, more so than the price
of housing or meteorites. There comes a point when the history of an object
becomes over-hyped and cannot maintain its value long-term. Many large auction
houses' reputations are not what they used to be, they got caught over hyping
among other things. Meteorites are no different. I think a good history should
increase the price, but not a 100 times like we often see in meteorites. This is
precisely why I do not collect falls any more unless they fill a type gap in my
collection. An ordinary chondrite with a great history may sell for over
$1,000.00/gram but will not hold this value for very long. If two pieces come
up for sale at the same time, the price will drop in half as the market is too
thin to support these prices. Pricing of planetary pieces is not as vulnerable
to hype and volume doesn't' seem to affect the pricing as much. They have
maintained there value throughout this tough recession with some increasing in
price as the supply thins out.

One comment that Anne made bothers me:

Yes, Martians and Lunars are still high priced now, but not at all as high
as they were, and it is still a novelty thing. Some day people will realize
that they are not rare any more. Just look at the Met Bulletin:

My response is that Lunar and Martian meteorites are millions of times rarer
than diamonds and are far more than just novelties. Ask any meteoritist and
they will tell you the same. The price of planetary meteorites corrected four
years ago in consideration of the additional weight being found. Even with this
correction, they are still higher than any other type for the volume sold. They
do not need history hype in order to increase the value which has been
remarkably stable during a downturn in the economy. Imagine if a lunar meteorite
was witnessed as a fall.

Best Regards,

Adam