[meteorite-list] Most expensive meteorites!

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 17:08:48 -0700

Though Ed is entitled to his opinion, I must disagree. Perhaps I
misunderstand what he meant, and hope he's joking...

Ed, Your logic seems to be that collectors only collect because they are
selfish, greedy people with a "my meteorite is bigger and better"
mentality. On the contrary, meteorite collectors are some of the most
generous and knowledgeable people I've ever met. Your statement says
nothing about, and ignores "why" meteorite collectors collect meteorites
at all.

Did it ever occur to you that collectors might collect because
meteorites are intrinsically and historically interesting!? Or that
collectors collect because they actually like the feeling it gives them
to hold in their hand a rock older than the Earth!? Your statement also
implies that private collectors should have no right to collect at all,
is very clinical and unemotional to say meteorites should be about the
science only. It's a damn good thing the world ain't run by people like
that think this way. It's would be one helluva boring place! I hope you
are not one of those that would see every meteorite on the planet in
inaccessible collections, sitting in backroom/laboratory specimen
drawers that never see the light of day, instead of letting the public
enjoy them. This type of mentality is selfish, egotistical and a
controlling travesty we have to deal with in this business. People that
look down on others because they enjoy something, and try to control the
access to meteorites by hoarding them in huge collections that the
public does not have ready access to, are meteorite mongers in my
opinion. No offense...

Collectors want to share the enjoyment of meteorite collecting by
buying, selling, collecting, trading, sharing photos, and studying
meteorites on their own and with like minded individuals within this
great community. You know how many private collectors have microscopes
sitting in their homes? Almost every collector I know does. Collectors
study, admire, and collect meteorites not because they are "bigger and
better" than the next guys, not even entirely because they are rare.

We collect meteorites because of how it makes us feel. The awe inspiring
feeling of smallness in the universe. It makes us feel that we have a
connection to the universe, a sense of uncommon knowledge of something
much bigger than ourselves. Meteorites fill great and mysterious voids
with knowledge and information about our universe and ultimately
ourselves. It's about something that is much more important than us. To
be able to walk to your collection display and pull out a specimen of
the material that built our solar system and the planets, that is why we
collect. Collectors share this experience of joy and wonder with other
collectors and the public through their own galleries and mini-museum
collections which pay homage to the greatness of some of the worlds
finest collections of meteorites. We need to share that feeling with
everyone!

Besides all that. Meteorites are the COOLEST rocks on the planet!

Regards,
Eric