[meteorite-list] Wisconsin meteorites for sale

From: meteorhntr at aol.com <meteorhntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 16:28:03 +0000

Ruben and list.

If someone is promising 50% of the value, then they should honor their word. Not tell the land owners they are only worth $4/g then give them $2/g pretending that is 50% of the real value.

If a hunter only wants to max give up $2/g then they should be honest and say up front, before they start hunting: "I'm willing to give you $2/g for anything I find, do we have a deal?"

If someone is claiming they are only worth $4/g, but later the land owner finds out the real value is $20/g then there might be a reason to think someone isn't being honest.

My suggestion to those still in the field still is to be 100% honest with the land owners, and I would think you would have nothing to be afraid of.

If giving up 50% of say $100/g is too much, then offer them
40% or 20% or 10% or 2%. If $50/g is too high of a field price, then "supply and demand" between the hunters in the field will ratchet the percentage down to something more fair like 15% or maybe 20% of $100/g.

I know that yesterday, there were people knocking on doors in the strewnfield offering the locals $20/g. It would not surprize me if tomorrow there will be people knocking on doors offering $30 then $40 then $50/g.

In fact, I left on Sunday for NY and when I got back, the land owner where I found my biggest rock told Geoff and I that there was a group of guys that came to his door and said that I was a con man, that I rip people off, that I'm being sued, that he (the land owner) would never see a penny from me and that his only chance to see any money was if he somehow got the rock back from me ASAP and sold it to one of them for $5,000 cash.

So I don't buy into the BS that if the meteorites stay off ebay while the hunters are still in the field, that means the locals won't wise up to the real values anyway in the mean time.

Steve