[meteorite-list] OT -- clear capsules

From: Mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 16:38:31 -0400

Aloha Tracy

I have always balked at gel capsules for nutraceuticals, after getting
one or two fro some established collectors selling on eBay - because
they are meant to be swallowed, right?

Suppose for a moment that they are stable, and can maintain their
structural integrity in humid environments - and will not blobify. That
may be true.

I am guessing that they are all hygroscopic by design, as the cheap
ones are all made from partially hydrolyzed animal skin, hair, and
bones (reminds me of Jell-O, which was reputed to be made from horses'
hooves when I was in grade-school).

Being hygroscopic, wouldn't the maintain a humid interior? Kind of the
opposite of storing your meteorites with silica gel, and like storing
them inside a humid draw on a micro-level. (Here is where I have my
doubt: maybe they actually act like silica gel, but the existence of
tiny glass flasks makes that a moot question IMO.

I would suggest some micro-bottles from some chemical supply house like
VWR or eBay, if more convenient. Glass is tried and true ... If not
look for another container made of some lesser permeable plastic. Short
term storage really may not be a big deal, just like a humid day - not
much happens. But we like to think of our collections as forever ...

Even if you get expensive cellulose derivatives of pharma capsules,
most depend on their hygroscopic properties whether it is a simple
dissolution or assisted by gastric juices (which is why animal derived
gel caps are so successful) - or else they would not deliver their
contents efficiently before passing through our systems.

Best wishes,
Doug