[meteorite-list] Willamette cutting question

From: John Hendry <pict_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 09:09:14 +0300

I just finished reading 'Rocks from Space' and there is mention that the
Willamette iron was gifted to the American Museum of Natural History by Mrs
William Dodge with the condition that it never be cut up. In the context of
this agreement how did it come about that a substantial 30lb end slice was
removed? Is there any published background on why this agreement was reneged
upon?

Personally I feel the removal has excessively damaged the overall aesthetic
of the meteorite - a bit like if an 1/8 of an inch was sliced off the end of
someone's nose. So my question is that if it is decided that a
morphologically spectacular meteorite needs to be sampled why cannot a core
be cut with the entry point on a relatively flat surface - perhaps the
bottom of a regmaglypt. After core extraction it would be relatively easy to
disguise the hole but keep the overall external appearance intact.

John

database 4417 (20090911) __________

http://www.eset.com