[meteorite-list] OT: Searching for the correct terminology

From: Michael Murray <mmurray_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 18:28:43 -0600

 From what I can observe on some small specimens, it is more than just
the removal of fusion crust that is involved. As the crust is broken
or chipped off, due to whatever cause, there is a certain, albeit
small amount, of the matrix removed also, leaving the newly exposed
surface very rough. Pitted if you like. The shape of the stone is
not changed all that much of course, and without magnification, one
might not see what the remaining surface is like. Weathering or
whatever the cause, it is a fantastic thing to see the exposed matrix
in its rawest appearance. Fusion crust has its own special appeal and
I don't mean to be taking anything away from crusted stones with my
thoughts on this.

Mike in CO