[meteorite-list] Willamette cutting question

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 07:34:30 -0700 (PDT)

Hello John

Circular diamond coring bits only came into use recently. The Willamette donation was in the early 1900's. I can only assume that the saw method of the time dictated the location of the cut: large heavy frames using a wire loop with abrasives hand fed into the grove. It is not like one could easily rotate the mass easily.

I am happy to see the use of core sample extraction more frequently in sampling. However, coring has a drawback in that it is very difficult to lubricate and can heat up the core changing some magnetic states.

Elton