[meteorite-list] Metal detector Question

From: Erik Fisler <erikfwebb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 02:49:57 -0700

In city conditions there is too much interference for a pulse detector anyway.

Mark, I'm not sure about other VLF detectors but I do know that my GMT has a iron discriminator which tells me how much iron is in the target.? The other problem with gold machines in the city is all the aluminum but on my GMT aluminum makes such a sharp high frequency sound that I can tell right away it's aluminum.
At Franconia I know almost immediately if I've swung my detector over an aluminum bullet.
The discriminator switch on the GMT is great for Franconia because the Sacramento Wash 005's make a zip-zip sound, the basalt makes a grunt-grunt sound and meteorites make a zip-grunt sound.

I also have a 6" by 8" coil for weeding through areas of high trash.

[Erik]