[meteorite-list] Metal detector Question

From: Mark Bowling <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 17:20:44 -0800 (PST)

Hi Erik and List,

A gold machine can find all targets. But without a discriminating coin machine, you have to dig each target to find out what it is (be it foil, pull tabs, nails, etc.). If you only have an hour to hunt a park, that could mean the difference between recovering 30 coins with a DFX, or 5 with a GMT (with a lot more junk recovered).

While a DFX can find gold/meteorites, all the folks I know will leave the coin machine at home.

Dean, if you spend most of your time in a city, you would probably be best served with a coin machine as there are a lot of sites within easy reach. Since I bought a coin machine, I've done a lot more detecting because the gold/meteorite fields in my area require at least a day trip. I can fill a hours time now (or even less) and find some coins/jewelry.

Good luck,
Mark